About Starting Service
- Please provide us as much notice as possible so we can schedule your request for the date you need service. Orders are worked Monday through Friday only (excluding holidays), from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- A connection charge of $15.00 is required to start your electric service. This charge will appear on your first bill.
- Security deposits are required if you are a new customer or if you are an existing customer and do not have satisfactory payment history within the last 12 months. There are deposit options that include the Irrevocable Letter of Credit and the Surety Bond for our nonresidential customers with a deposit of $500 or more.
- Our personnel will need access to the meter. Be sure the meter is not obstructed by fences, trees/shrubs, buildings or animals. Residential customers: If the meter is not accessible, an adult will need to be at your residence on the day of your service connection to provide access.
- For safety reason, we recommend turning off all appliances/equipment that you do not want energized when power is connected. We may also require all circuit breakers or fuses, including the main, to be in the "off" position before service can be connected. Specific instructions are provided during the service request.
- More information about managing your account is available on our Manage Account Support page.
New Residential Customers - Virginia
Register to start new service. You will need:
- Your new street address (including the zip code and apartment/unit number if applicable)
- Your full legal name
- Social Security Number
- Email address
- Meter number at your new address (helpful but not required)
New Business Customers
Call us to start new service at 866-366-4357.
- Customer service is available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday.
- Outside the United States: 001-757-857-2112.
- An automated response system is available 24 hours a day to report a power outage or electrical emergency (such as downed power lines), and check restoration updates.