Outage Safety & Preparation
Before a Storm
- Check websites like Ready.gov.
- Protect sensitive electronics with surge protectors or unplug them.
- Make sure portable generators are fueled and know how to connect and use it safely.
- In winter, be ready with snow removal equipment, rock salt to melt ice, and sand to improve traction.
- If severe weather is expected, turn off major appliances like heat pumps and water heaters.
During a Storm
- Always report power outages! We don't know your power is out unless you tell us.
- Please be patient; damage assessment and restoration of power begin as soon as weather conditions are safe.
- Leave a lamp or light on so you'll know when power is restored.
After a Storm
- Report and check status of any outages. Report downed lines to 866-366-4357.
- Stay away from downed lines and anything touching them. Always assume lines are energized.
- Use generators safely.
- Please be careful of our linemen when you see them on the roadside making emergency repairs.
- Avoid unnecessary travel; leaving roadways open for emergency personnel and first-responders.