Outage Safety & Preparation
Before a Storm
- Check websites like Ready.gov.
- Protect sensitive electronics with surge protectors or unplug them.
- Make sure portable generators are fueled and know how to connect and use it safely.
- In winter, be ready with snow removal equipment, rock salt to melt ice, and sand to improve traction.
- If severe weather is expected, turn off major appliances like heat pumps and water heaters.
During a Storm
- Always report power outages! We don't know your power is out unless you tell us.
- Leave a lamp or light on so you'll know when power is restored.