Due to the coronavirus, we have suspended all service disconnections for nonpayment at this time. If you have been disconnected and need your service restored, please contact us.
EnergyShare® - Providing a helping hand for those who need it most
EnergyShare is our year-round energy assistance program, helping qualified customers with bill payment assistance since 1982.
In 2015, EnergyShare expanded to include free home energy assessments and energy efficiency upgrades for customers who received bill assistance. In 2018, EnergyShare further strengthened its commitment to the community by not only helping families in financial crisis to make their homes more energy efficient, but also increasing funding to pay for the cost of heating and cooling their homes. Upgrades funded by EnergyShare provide permanent energy bill savings through energy conservation. For more information, check out our brochure.
Dominion Energy provides an annual report on the program each year. Read the latest report.
How does it work?
EnergyShare provides assistance to customers in two different ways:
- Bill Payment Assistance
EnergyShare is a crisis program of last resort that helps pay energy bills for any type of heating and cooling source (wood, oil, natural gas, propane, kerosene, electric) for those who qualify. Customers 60 years of age and older may receive assistance twice per season up to the maximum benefit amount. Applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine eligibility. If approved, the benefit is paid directly to the customer’s energy provider. Military veterans and those individuals living with disabilities may qualify for additional EnergyShare assistance through the Department of Veteran Services and the Centers for Independent Living.
|Dates||Oct. 1 - May 31||June 1 - Sept. 30|
Customers who receive EnergyShare bill payment assistance are automatically eligible to receive a free home energy assessment and the installation of free energy efficiency upgrades to help save on their energy costs. Upgrades may include:
- LED lighting
- Low-flow showerheads
- Faucet aerators
- Attic/floor insulation
- Hot water pipe wrap insulation
- Hot water heater tank wrap
- Heat pump tune-up
- A/C tune-up
- Air and duct sealing
- ENERGY STAR refrigerator replacement
- High efficiency central furnace fan motor replacement
How to Apply
In Virginia, call 2-1-1 or visit 211virginia.org for a referral to your local EnergyShare agency or view a list of local EnergyShare agencies. In addition, these trained professionals can provide referrals to other resources such as those for basic human needs, child care, elder care, housing assistance and more.
How to Contribute
- Simply add $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $25, or $35 to the amount due on your bill.
- Overpayments in these exact amounts are automatically recognized as a contribution and will be documented on your next bill.
- Or mail a check for any amount (made payable to "EnergyShare") to EnergyShare, P O Box 91717, Richmond, VA 23291-9717.
For EnergyShare Agencies Only
- EnergyShare DatabaseEnergyShare agencies can authorize payments and generate reports online.
- Agency Web Access (AWA)EnergyShare intake agencies can access Dominion Energy customer account information online to view an applicant’s account status, bill and payment history, and make pledges.
For more information, call 1-888-366-8280