View articles below from recent versions of the Customer Connection newsletter from Dominion Energy.
Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation Awards $1 Million in Grants
Whether it’s rescuing sea-turtles, recycling school paper or exploring the great outdoors, Dominion Energy’s Environmental Education and Stewardship grants support a variety of initiatives that benefit schools, organizations and communities across the country.
This year, Dominion Energy is awarding $1 million in grants through its philanthropic arm, the Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation, to nearly 130 organizations in 12 states working to improve natural spaces or encourage environmental stewardship. Since 2003, Dominion Energy has donated nearly $32 million to a wide variety of environmental projects across its footprint.
Storm Season Safety: Are you Ready?
While nothing can prevent storms from happening, being prepared helps to reduce much of the anxiety that may accompany them. Advanced preparation will help keep your family safe and protect your property from damage. Before a storm arrives, take steps to stay safe and minimize damage:
- Regularly check local news, radio or your mobile device for information about any storm watches or warnings in your area.
- Keep supplies in an emergency preparedness kit. Include water bottles, non-perishable food, blankets, first-aid supplies, flashlights and a battery-powered radio.
- Consider using surge protectors or unplugging sensitive electronics.
- If you have a portable generator, make sure it’s fueled and you know how to connect and use it safely.
- Make sure your yard is free of heavy debris that could be tossed around in the wind. Trim trees to prevent limbs from falling on your house.
If your power goes out, please make sure to report it online through our Outage Center from your computer or smartphone, or call 1-866-366-4357. You can also sign up for text alerts to receive information about major storms and outages in your area.
Tips for Cool Summer Savings
Worried about those high summer energy bills? Don’t sweat it. These measures will help you stay cool and save all summer long.
- Check for attic air leaks around recessed light fixtures, pipes, wiring and flues. Seal them with expandable foam or caulk.
- Make sure your walls and attic are insulated to levels recommended for your climate zone. A qualified insulation contractor can help.
- Don’t spend your energy dollars outdoors. Seal windows with caulk and install weatherstripping around outside doors.
- Turn on ceiling fans in occupied rooms. They make your skin feel cooler, reducing the need for air conditioning?
- Install Wi-Fi enabled programmable thermostats to save energy by automatically adjusting temperatures based on your schedule.
- Hire a qualified professional to inspect and clean your air conditioning system. This will help ensure that the system operates at peak efficiency.
Now your home is ready to handle the hottest temperatures summer has to offer. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy the savings.