Choose Your State of Service

In order to serve you better, please select your Dominion Energy location services.

Choose Your State of Service

In order to serve you better, please select your Dominion Energy location services.

Select my State

alert
NOTICE: We're currently making improvements to the website. If you encounter any issues, please try again or check back later.
close
alert
Privacy Policy & Cookies: We use cookies and similar technologies. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our Terms and Conditions and our Privacy Notice.
close

Natural gas is safe energy source for home use – in fact, it is used by more than half of American households as their main heating source. It is the cleanest-burning fossil fuel available, is efficient and has an excellent safety record due to the physical properties of the gas itself:

  • Natural gas has a very narrow range of flammability, which means it requires extremely specific conditions in order to burn. It also has a very high ignition temperature, at about 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit – almost twice the ignition temperature for gasoline.
  • Natural gas is lighter than air, so it dissipates into the air rapidly, making accidental combustion difficult.
  • Interestingly, although known for its “rotten egg” smell, natural gas is odorless when taken from the ground. Local utilities add a non-toxic chemical odorant called mercaptan to make leaks easy to detect by the distinct smell. However, there may be times when the smell of the odorant is weak or not present, even though there is a leak.

These factors make accidental ignition or combustion of natural gas an unlikely event. Nonetheless, helping you learn how to use this clean-burning energy safely throughout your home is one of our top priorities. It is important for you and your family to understand natural gas and related safety information.

  • Do not attempt to locate the source of a gas leak.
  • Do not remain in the building when there is a strong gas odor. From a safe distance, be ready to let our representative into your home or business so he or she can investigate.
  • Do not turn on or off any battery-powered, rechargeable or electrical device, including phones, garage door openers, radios, TVs, computers or any device that could create a spark.
  • Do not turn on or turn off any lights or electrical switches, or unplug appliances.
  • Do not use telephones of any type, including cordless, cell or landline.
  • Do not use elevators.
  • Do not position or operate vehicles and power equipment where leaking gas may be present.
  • Do not smoke or use lighters, matches or other open flames.
  • Not sure what natural gas smells like? Request one of our scratch-and-sniff cards and we'll mail one to you.
  • Keep forced-air furnace filters clean. Clean or replace them according to the manufacturer's recommendation.
  • Avoid using or storing these products near the furnace: paint stripper, fabric or water softener, bleach, adhesives, or salt for melting ice. The chlorine or fluorine in these items can lead to furnace corrosion.
  • If your owner's manual recommends it, oil the furnace fan, motor and bearings.
  • Keep your heat registers and cold-air returns clean so the air can flow properly. Also, arrange your furniture and drapes so they don't block the airflow.
  • Have a qualified heating contractor inspect your furnace or boiler annually. A properly tuned furnace saves energy and helps avoid costly repairs.
  • Check flues to make sure they are clean and open, as fuel buildup can create harmful levels of carbon monoxide (CO). CO is a dangerous and odorless gas which can collect in your home if a fuel-burning appliance isn't working properly or venting as it should.

While we own the gas meter, it is the customer’s responsibility to provide clear access to the meter and associated metering equipment, and to keep it free from obstructions such as snow, ice and shrubs. Ice, icicles or water splashing, dripping and freezing on appliance vents or the gas meter may prevent safe and efficient operation and create a potentially hazardous situation. Here are some tips:

  • Pay attention to snow or ice around the meter and/or piping. Remove by hand or gently brush with a broom. DO NOT strike the metering equipment with any objects to remove ice.
  • Prevent meter damage from ice and freezing water by removing icicles from overhead eaves and gutters.
  • Keep side wall vents clear of snow and ice to ensure gas appliances will operate properly so any accumulated carbon monoxide can escape.
  • Do not plow or pile snow up against or on the gas metering equipment or any of the company’s equipment buildings. Company personnel must be able to access metering equipment at all times in the event of an emergency.

If you smell natural gas, suspect a leak, or if none of your gas appliances appear to be working (a possible sign of a leak), first get a safe distance away from the hazard, then Contact Us immediately.

Gas Emergency Numbers

If you smell gas, suspect a leak or if there is an explosion or fire, call Dominion Energy right away. Use these numbers 24 hours a day, every day.

Georgia Customers:

South Carolina Customers:

  • Dominion Energy Carolina Gas Transmission: 800-789-7272
  • Dominion Energy South Carolina Electric and/or Gas: 888-333-4465

North Carolina Customers:

Ohio Customers:

  • 877-542-2630. An alternate number is on the front of your bill, or in your local phone directory.
  • Dominion Energy Transmission: 888-264-8240

West Virginia Customers

Dominion Energy Utah, Dominion Energy Wyoming, Dominion Energy Idaho

Para reportar una fuga de gas natural u otra emergencia, llame al 800-767-1689, disponible durante las 24 horas, los 7 días de la semana. Si necesita ayuda en Español, llame Dominion Energy Utah, Dominion Energy Wyoming, Dominion Energy Idaho: 800-323-5517.

Related Links

caret
More Links