Henderson Hall Marine Corps Base
Henderson Hall is located in Arlington, Virginia, directly across the Potomac River from the nation’s capital. Henderson Hall is situated on Southgate Road on the southern border of Arlington National Cemetery, next door the Army’s Fort Myer. The Pentagon is a short distance to the east, with the Navy Annex just to the south. Built on land acquired through deeds and other actions between 1943 and 1952, Henderson Hall officially became U.S. government property on February 15, 1954, when the governor of Virginia executed a Deed of Cession of Political Jurisdiction.
With the move of Headquarters Marine Corps to the Navy Annex in November 1941, and Marine Corps expansion following the outbreak of World War II, a Headquarters and Service Company was organized at Henderson Hall on March 1, 1942. Subsequently, the unit was designated Headquarters Battalion on April 1, 1943. A section of Headquarters Battalion of Women Marine Reserves was organized in September 1943 to provide barracks for a portion of the 2, 658 women assigned to the Washington, D.C., area.
Henderson Hall owes its name to Colonel - Brevet Brigadier General - Archibald Henderson. “Brevet” indicated an honorable promotion. Born in Colchester, Virginia, Jan. 21, 1783, he was appointed a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps June 4, 1806; promoted to first lieutenant March 6, 1807; to captain April 1, 1811; and was appointed a major by brevet in 1814.
At the age of 37, Lt. Col. Henderson was appointed as Commandant of the Marine Corps. He served in the position for more than 38 years - the longest of any officer to hold that position.
In 1857, Marines were ordered at the request of the mayor of Washington, D.C., to suppress an armed mob of “hired roughs and bullies” who had been imported from Baltimore to take possession of the election booths. During the riot, when a cannon was put into position by a large crowd who threatened the Marines, Henderson deliberately placed his body against the muzzle, thereby preventing it from being aimed at the Marines.
- Date privatized - September 15, 2014
- Size - 25.6 Acres
- Miles of line - Approximately 1.0 Miles
- Number of facilities served - 126 buildings
- Number of people supported - Henderson Hall provides administrative, operational, logistic, and quality of life services in support of over 2,000 Marines and civilians of Headquarters Marine Corps.