Fort Monroe is located at the southeastern tip of the Virginia lower peninsula on a sand spit between Hampton Roads and the Chesapeake Bay. Fort Monroe is completely surrounded by water except for the northern tip and is connected to the mainland by two bridges at the western end.
Originally named Fortress Monroe, in honor of James Monroe, our fifth president, it was designated Fort Monroe by the secretary of war in 1832. The Fort encompasses 568 acres, of which approximately 108 acres are under water.
Until it was closed, Fort Monroe was the home of the Army’s Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC), whose mission is to develop the doctrine, weapon systems, equipment, organizations and training needed for the battlefields.
Fort Monroe was privatized in December 2004. In 2005, it was announced that Fort Monroe would be closed under the Base Realignment and Closure Act and the Privatization contract terminated in 2011.