Fort Lee is situated alongside the Tri-Cities of Virginia – Petersburg, Colonial Heights and Hopewell – as well as the counties of Chesterfield, Dinwiddie and Prince George.
Within weeks after the United States declared war on Germany in the spring of 1917, the War Department acquired a vast tract of farmland in Prince George County, VA (between Petersburg and Hopewell) for the purpose of building here one of 32 military cantonments. Construction of Camp Lee began in June and by September more than 1,500 buildings and over 15 miles of on-post roads had been completed.
Before long Camp Lee became one of the largest “cities” in Virginia. More than 60,000 doughboys trained here prior to their departure for the Western Front, and fighting in France and Germany. Included among the many facilities here was a large camp hospital situated on 58 acres of land.
Leading up to and during WW II, Congress approved the call-up of nearly 300,000 Guardsmen and Reservists in late August 1940 and in September they passed a Selective Service Act that allowed the drafting of up to 900,000 more men for a year. In October the War Department issued orders for the rebuilding of Camp Lee on the same site as before.
Over the course of the war, Camp Lee’s population continued to mushroom until it became in effect the third largest “city” in Virginia, after Norfolk and Richmond. More than 50,000 officers attended Quartermaster Officer Candidate School. Over 300,000 Quartermaster Soldiers trained here during the war. There was a Regional Hospital with scores of pavilions and literally miles of interlocking corridors capable of housing over 2,000 patients at a time. Here too was located the Army Services Forces Training Center, a large contingent of Women’s Army Corps Soldiers, and for a while a prisoner of war camp. Camp Lee enjoyed a reputation as one of the most effective and best-run military installations in the country.
Following V-J Day in 1945, troop strength rapidly decreased but Camp Lee continued to serve as the major Quartermaster field installation and as an out-processing center for those leaving the military.
Fort Lee experienced enormous growth in 2005 as a result of Base Realignment and Closure mandates, which sparked a massive $1.2 billion base modernization mission. Under BRAC 2005, Fort Lee was designated as the Army Sustainment Center of Excellence – a focused training base for military supply, subsistence, maintenance, munitions, transportation and more.
Today, under the umbrella of the U.S. Army Combined Arms Support Command, Team Lee now consists of the U.S. Army Ordnance School, the U.S. Army Quartermaster School, the U.S. Army Transportation School and the Army Logistics University. These institutions train service members from all five military service branches, in addition to international service members from allied nations. Fort Lee tenant organizations include headquarters elements of the Defense Contract Management Agency and Defense Commissary Agency, Kenner Army Health Clinic and a Military Entrance Processing Station.
Since 2005, it has undergone a $1.2 billion building expansion program.
- Date privatized - April 2005
- Size - roughly 6,000 acres
- Miles of line - 114 miles including, 60 underground primary miles and 54 overhead primary miles
- Number of facilities served by the systems we operate - 2,801, approximately 15,000,000 square feet of facilities
- Street Lights Served - 4,496
- Total dollar value of projects completed since inception: $87,625,624
- Total population served - 47,000 personnel and a cumulative annual student population of 70,000.
Minimizing outages and/or outage duration, allows Fort Lee to continue or resume mission critical training in order to stay on schedule. Given that Fort Lee is a training fort, they have a very tight, defined timeline in which to train soldiers before they are released for combat or their next training assignment. The Fort has a vigorous defined schedule for the approximate 100,000 soldiers that train on Post each year. By reducing the outage impact to the Fort, we have significantly enhanced their mission critical training and operations.
Dominion Energy has expanded its electrical distribution system on Post to accommodate this growth.