The Fort Belvoir site was originally the home of William Fairfax, the cousin and land agent of Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron the proprietor of the Northern Neck, which once stood on land now on the base.
William Fairfax purchased the property in 1738 when his cousin arranged for him to be appointed customs agent (tax collector) for the Potomac River, and William erected an elegant brick mansion overlooking the river, moving in with his family in 1740.
Lord Fairfax came to America in 1747 and stayed less than a year at the Belvoir estate before moving to Greenway Court. The Fairfax family lived at Belvoir for over 30 years, but eldest son (and heir) George William Fairfax sailed to England on business in 1773, never to return. The manor home was destroyed by fire in 1783.The ruins of the Belvoir Mansion and the nearby Fairfax family grave site are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The implementation of the Base Realignment and Closure Act of 2005 (BRAC) at Fort Belvoir includes 20 separate projects with a total of nearly 6.3 million square feet of building space, 7 million square feet of parking structures and areas, and an overall construction cost of approximately $4 billion. The renovation of existing facilities and construction of new facilities are well under way to support a net gain of approximately 19,300 military and civilian employees at Fort Belvoir.
- Date privatized – September 2006
- General location- Fort Belvoir is located in the Southeastern portion of Fairfax County, Virginia. The post is bordered by the Potomac River to the East, Mount Vernon to the North and Interstate Route 95 to the West.
- Fort Belvoir encompasses 8,500 acres – 13 square miles or approximately 3% of Fairfax County. It has 160 miles of roads and over 1,425 buildings on post
- Miles of line - 35.9 Miles of Overhead Primary and 78.2 Miles of Underground Primary
- Number of facilities served by the systems we operate - over 1,200 buildings on post of various sizes
- Total dollar value of projects completed since inception - $330,193,796.07
- Age of installation: The base was founded during World War I (1917) as Camp A. A. Humphreys and renamed Fort Belvoir in the 1930s
- Over 7,100 full time residents and over 51,000 civilian and contract employees work at Fort Belvoir
- Fort Belvoir is home to 9 Major Command Headquarters and over 145 Federal agencies.