Energy Saving Tips - at the Office
Create an energy-efficient office.
Heating and Cooling
- Turn off or turn down heat and air conditioning in unoccupied areas.
- Install timers or program thermostats to power down after closing or about an hour before the work day ends.
- Lower hot water temperature to about 120 degrees F.
- Clean and maintain AC and HVAC units.
- Add weather stripping/caulking around windows and doors to reduce drafts.
- Turn off lights in unused areas.
- Close curtains or shades at night and weekends.
- Install motion detectors to control lighting in frequently unoccupied areas, such as restrooms.
- Use lower wattage or higher efficiency lamps. Replace incandescent or halogen bulbs with LED bulbs.
- Use natural light from windows, when possible.
- Turn off equipment when not in use.
- Activate your computer’s sleep mode when away from your desk for an extended period.
- Unplug battery chargers.
- Recycle office paper, newspapers and boxes.
- Use a mug or glass instead of Styrofoam or paper cups.
- Reuse rubber bands and paper clips.
- Use refillable ink cartridges and recycle old ones.
- Print and copy on both sides of paper, when possible.
- Take your lunch to work in a reusable container.
- Switch to online or automatic bill paying to save paper.
- Carpool, use public transportation or ride your bike to work.
- Telecommute when possible.