Bridgeport Fuel Cell
Powers 3,700 homes
- Net generating capacity is 14.9 megawatts.
- Began commercial operations December 2013.
- Uses an electro-chemical process that efficiently converts natural gas into electricity.
- FuelCell Energy Inc. (FCE) operates and maintains the facility under a services contract with us.
- FCE supplied five Direct FuelCell® stationary fuel cell power plants and an organic rankine turbine that converts waste heat from the fuel cells into additional electricity.
- We sell the output of the fuel cell power station to Connecticut Light & Power under fixed power purchase agreements.
- Bridgeport Fuel Cell was part of Project 150, a program sponsored by the state and supported by the Clean Energy Finance and Investment Authority (CEFIA) to increase renewable and clean energy projects in Connecticut by 150 megawatts.
More About Fuel Cells
- Learn how fuels cells work, and read about their benefits.
- Functional Elements of a Fuel Cell Power Plant
- Diagram of how a Fuel Cell Works (or View a Video)
- View our news release for more information.
- Smithsonian Institution - Fuel Cell Basics
- DOE - Fuel Cell Technologies Program
- ASME - Stationary Fuel Cells
- Fuel Cell Today