Over the last year, we have been preparing for construction on the Remington-Gordonsville 115 kilovolt (kV) electric transmission line. We are now ready to move into active construction. This includes building construction entrances and access roads for heavy equipment to reach each structure location, and dismantling existing structures and erecting new structures. In order to maintain reliability throughout construction, our plan is to segment the work along the 38-mile corridor into six phases.
December 2019 - Work has started on the Somerset-Gordonsville section of the rebuild. Line construction on the Brandy-Mountain Run section will be completed and rehab will continue into 2020.
September 2019 - Construction Informational Meeting held at Orange Public Works Office for the last sections of the rebuild.
The approved solution uses the existing corridor from the Remington Substation in Fauquier County to the Gordonsville Substation in Albemarle County. This includes wrecking and rebuilding the single circuit 115kV structures within the corridor as a double circuit 230kV/115kV transmission line. To accommodate a second line along this corridor, structure heights will increase and the existing right of way will need to be expanded in very limited locations.
On Aug. 29, 2017, we received approval from the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) to rebuild this line. The SCC found that the project is needed and our solution reasonably minimizes adverse effects. The project includes rebuilding the single-circuit 115 kV structures within the corridor as a double-circuit 230 kV/115 kV transmission line. The project is approved using weathering steel monopoles on a 100-foot wide right of way, with the flexibility to implement shorter H-frame structures where feasible on a 140-foot wide right of way. We are working toward implementing the shorter H-frame structures on a 4.5-mile segment in the Rapidan area of Orange County along Clark Mountain.
- Construction Phasing Map (high level overview of the construction schedule)
- Construction Access Maps: Entire Line | Phase 1 | Phase 2 | Phase 3
- Existing Right Of Way Structure (Weathering Steel Monopole Approved, August 29, 2017)
- Typical H-Frame structure design (Alternative shorter structure design for certain portions of the route - approved for use where feasible and with property owner consent, August 29, 2017)
Project Overview Maps
The following two documents identify where the right of way could be expanded to 140 feet to accommodate the shorter H-frame structure option.
- Pre-Construction Letter (7/13/18)
- View the presentation given at the Virginia Outdoors Foundation Board Meeting (5/3/18)
- Letter to the community regarding the shorter structure option (12/28/17)
- Community correspondence. Letter | Map (9/11/15)
- View the presentation given at the Rapidan Foundation Annual Meeting (5/15/15)
Previous Open House(s)
Wednesday, September 30, 2015
5:00pm – 8:00 pm
Orange County High School
201 Selma Road
Orange VA 22960
Thursday, April 2, 2015
5:00pm – 8:00 pm
Madison County High School
68 Mountaineer Lane
Madison VA 22727
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
5:00pm – 8:00 pm
Eastern View High School
Culpeper - 16332 Cycline Way
Culpeper VA 22701
SCC Approval Process