Line 224 Partial Rebuild
At Dominion Energy, we are committed to continually reviewing and analyzing our energy infrastructure to provide the most safe and reliable electric service. We are currently exploring options to address portions of an aging 230 kilovolt (kV) electric transmission line located in Virginia’s New Kent, King William, and King and Queen counties. This work is necessary to maintain reliability for our customers.
- Create no new right of way
- Keep structures in the same general location as existing structures
- Provide long-term reliability and durability without excessive maintenance
- Deliver operational system flexibility to meet future needs
- Comply with mandatory standards to ensure safety and reliability
This project will rebuild portions of Line 224 – a 230 kV line connecting our Lanexa and Dunnsville substations. A total of 21 structures at four key crossings need to be replaced due primarily to the deteriorating condition of concrete foundations supporting the structures. The majority of the structures also feature brown, weathering steel, which is nearing the end of its service life. These critical structures carry wires over Diascund Reservoir, Interstate 64, and the Pamunkey and Mattaponi rivers. The structures have been in operation for over five decades and need to be replaced to ensure the integrity of the power grid.
The following key dates and developments are related to the SCC review timeline. For the most up-to-date and full listing of motions, rulings and other related documents, please refer to the SCC docket for this case.
- Aug. 8, 2018 – SCC issues procedural order
- Sept. 7, 2018 – Dominion Energy issues public notice
- Sept. 28, 2018 – Dominion Energy files proof of notice and service
- Oct. 16, 2018 – Notices of participation due
- Nov. 13, 2018 – Respondent testimony due
- Dec. 7, 2018 – Staff Report due
- Dec. 18, 2018 – Dominion Energy rebuttal due
- Jan. 8, 2019 – Public comments due
- Jan. 15, 2019 – Public evidentiary hearing (10 a.m. at SCC’s Tyler Building at 1300 East Main Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219)