Idylwood - Tysons
By approximately 2022, load on the existing lines in the Tysons and McLean areas of Fairfax County is forecast to exceed 300 megawatts. By constructing an additional source of power, Dominion Energy will avoid a potential violation of mandatory North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) reliability standards. The Idylwood-Tysons 230 kilovolt (kV) Project is being proposed to enable Dominion Energy to continue to provide reliable power to the area.
NEW Interactive Construction Portal
In order to keep our neighbors informed about the construction process for this project, an interactive web portal is now accessible.
- May 2020 - Postcard mailed to the community announcing permit approvals and start of construction
- Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2019 - Construction Informational Open House
5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Kilmer Middle School
8100 Wolftrap Road
Vienna, VA 22182
- On September 5, 2018, the SCC issued its final order approving the Idylwood-Tysons transmission project.
- On July 26, 2018, the SCC Hearing Examiner’s Report was issued in response to the proposed project.
- SCC Hearing Examiner grants Fairfax County’s motion for extension of the procedural schedule on February 16, 2018.
- On December 8, 2017, the SCC issued its Procedural Order for the proposed Idylwood – Tysons project.
- On November 8, 2017, we filed an application for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) for a new 230 kilovolt (kV) line between our existing Idylwood and Tysons substations in Fairfax County.
At Dominion Energy, we are committed to keeping our neighbors informed about energy needs where they live and work. As we continue to analyze the various components of the proposed project, it is important that we not only keep you informed, but we hear your feedback.
As the project develops, we will:
- Continue outreach by communicating with legislators, homeowner associations and other identified stakeholders; and
- Provide ongoing communications through informational materials, mailings, email updates and a project website.
Construction Informational Open House - Oct. 10, 2019
- Project Overview
- Project Timeline
- Community Outreach
- HDD Underground Construction
- Open Trenching
- Tysons Substation Board
Open Houses - Sept. 26, 2017 & Sept. 28, 2017
SCC Approval Process
The State Corporation Commission (SCC) is responsible for verifying the need, determining the route and reviewing the environmental impact of certain transmission lines in Virginia.