West Loop Project
Dominion Energy Transmission, Inc. (DETI) has proposed the West Loop Project to help meet the increasing demand for natural gas in the Midwest. The project will improve regional energy security by providing gas supply to a new electric power-generation facility. Access to new natural gas supply is critical to offsetting the loss of coal-fired, electricity-generating plants which continue to be retired across the country.
The project would provide 150,000 dekatherms per day of firm transportation service, which is enough natural gas for a single winter day to more than 136,000 households. It would include adding 5 miles of pipeline looping, modifying one existing compressor station, adding regulation at another station and automation at an existing metering and regulation facility. The project is expected to be in-service in the summer of 2021.
DETI plans to file an application in the first quarter of 2019 for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the agency responsible for reviewing and authorizing interstate natural gas transmission projects. The FERC will conduct a full review of the project in compliance with two federal statutes, the Natural Gas Act and National Environmental Policy Act.
- Carroll Station, Carroll County (OH) - Modify existing units (no horsepower change)
- Beaver Station, Beaver County (PA) - Install additional regulation
- Kopple Site, Beaver County (PA) - Install 5 miles of 36-inch pipeline looping parallel to existing TL-400 line. Install launcher receiver
- New Gate Site, Beaver County (PA) - 36-inch pipeline terminates into TL-400
- Old Petersburg Metering & Regulation, Lawrence County (PA) - Add automation and new control valves
- Open Houses -- TBD
- File FERC Application -- 1st Quarter 2019
- Receive FERC Order - 2nd Quarter 2020
- Begin Construction - 4th Quarter 2020
- Project completed and in-service - 3rd Quarter 2021
If you have additional questions about the West Loop Project, please contact us at WestLoop@dominionenergy.com and we will respond back to you in a timely manner.