West Loop Project
Dominion Energy Transmission, Inc. (DETI) has proposed the West Loop Project to help meet the increasing demand for natural gas in the Midwest. The project will improve regional energy reliability by providing gas supply to a new electric power-generation facility. Access to new natural gas supply is critical to offsetting the loss of coal-fired, electricity-generating plants which continue to be retired across the country.
The project would provide 150,000 dekatherms per day of firm transportation service – enough to heat more than 136,000 households for a single winter day. It would include adding 5 miles of pipeline in an existing right of way, modifying one existing compressor station, adding regulation at another station and automation at an existing metering and regulation facility. The project is expected to be in-service in the summer of 2021.
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the agency responsible for reviewing and authorizing interstate natural gas transmission projects, will coordinate with other federal, state and local agencies to thoroughly address land, air, water, noise, fish/wildlife/vegetation, economic impacts, reliability and safety and other issues.
The pipeline would be designed, constructed, operated and maintained in accordance with FERC and U.S. Department of Transportation standards, and all other applicable regulations, standards and guidelines for safety.
- Carroll Station, Carroll County (OH) - Modify existing units (no horsepower change)
- Beaver Station, Beaver County (PA) - Install additional regulation and measurement upgrade
- Koppel Site, Beaver County (PA) - Install 5 miles of 36-inch pipeline parallel to existing TL-400 line, and launcher/receiver
- New Gate Site, Beaver County (PA) - 36-inch pipeline terminates into TL-400
- Old Petersburg Metering & Regulation, Lawrence County (PA) - Add automation and new control valves
- Open House -- TBD
- File FERC Application -- 1st Quarter 2019
- Receive FERC Order - 2nd Quarter 2020
- Begin Construction - 4th Quarter 2020
- Project completed and in-service - 3rd Quarter 2021
If you have additional questions about the West Loop Project, please contact us at WestLoop@dominionenergy.com and we will respond back to you in a timely manner.