Altavista Power Station
Powers 12,750 homes
- 51-megawatts fueled by renewable biomass.
- Original coal operation began in 1992. Converted from coal to biomass in July 2013.
- Conversion is part of a commitment to generate 15 percent of electricity from renewable sources by 2025.
- Ash produced at the station is provided to local farmers who use it to improve the soil for their crops.
- The station employs about 35 people. Another 100 forestry and trucking jobs created locally to supply the roughly 600,000 tons of biomass used yearly.
- Property tax payments to Altavista and Campbell County total approximately $590,000 annually.