Willcox Wharf to Windmill Point
Dominion Energy plans to rebuild a segment of line 567, a 500-kilovolt (kV) electric transmission line that crosses the James River between Willcox Wharf and Windmill Point. The line serves Charles City and Prince George Counties, as well as the surrounding areas. Placed into service in the 1960s, several structures have significant steel deterioration and have reached the end of their useful life.
- September 22 - Wire removal will begin and may continue through September 30, 2017. Nearby residents may notice periods of increased activity in the right of way. We ask that you remain clear of the construction area, so our team may work safely and efficiently. The schedule is subject to change based on weather.
- June 6, 2017 - SCC Final Order
- Replace aging infrastructure
- Maintain continued reliable service to local customers
- Help strengthen the electrical grid
- No new right of way required
- No new foundations in the river required
Dominion Energy will replace four transmission structures. Two existing Cor-Ten steel structures in the water will be replaced with two similar galvanized steel structures of the same height. The new structures in the water will be supported by the existing foundations– minimizing underwater disturbance. Two existing Cor-Ten steel anchor structures – one on either side of the shore – will be replaced with two galvanized steel A-Frame structures. The new structures on the shore will be approximately 15 feet taller than the existing structures.
Pending regulatory approval and time-of-year restrictions, construction on the new transmission line will begin in summer 2017 and will be completed by late 2017.
*Proposed replacements are subject to final engineering.
SCC Approval Process
The State Corporation Commission (SCC) is responsible for determining the need, route and environmental impact of transmission lines in Virginia. Once this project is filed, documents related to the case are made available to the public on the SCC Docket Search section of the SCC website, in the "Search Cases" section. In addition, interested parties may also comment directly to the SCC by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Wire removal will begin September 22 and may continue through September 30, 2017. Nearby residents may notice periods of increased activity in the right of way. We ask that you remain clear of the construction area, so our team may work safely and efficiently. The schedule is subject to change based on weather.
- Dalmation Drive Wire Removal Notification - September 2017 Doorhanger
- Dalmation Drive Community Update – August 2017 Letter
- Anchor Structure Relocation – August 2017 Mailer
- Preliminary Construction Plan – April 2017 Community Letter