- May 24, 2018 - Federal judge denies lawsuit seeking to block U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ permit
- October 20, 2017 - Dominion Energy allowed to move forward with construction; court denies motions for preliminary injunction
- July 11, 2017 - James City County Board of Supervisors approves Skiffes Creek Switching Station
- July 3, 2017 – U.S. Army Corps of Engineers approves final permit
- Supply needed capacity to serve the local area and our nation’s critical military facilities
- Support local growth and economic development in central and eastern Virginia
- Comply with mandatory NERC Reliability Standards
- Fewer service interruptions and shorter outage durations
Surry-Skiffes Creek 500kV Line (Approved by SCC)
Skiffes Creek Switching Station (Approved by James City County)
Skiffes Creek-Whealton 230kV Line (Approved by SCC)
Initial studies conducted by the company and PJM in 2011 identified the proposed project as needed to address thermal overloadings, voltage problems and right of way outages projected to occur beginning in the summer of 2019. Although load forecasts have declined slightly since then, the line is still vitally needed. Now the key driver for accelerating this proposed transmission line project is the retirement of the Yorktown Power Station. Yorktown coal-fired units will retire no later than 2017. More information on generation retirements can be found in the 2017 Integrated Resource Plan.
Photo simulations are provided by Truescape. Photo simulations and diagrams represent views of proposed facilities. These illustrations do not depict exact structure design or physical placement. All projects are subject to change and to final engineering.
Complete package of simulations provided with the SCC application, Appendix C.
Surry-Skiffes Creek 500kV route
- Viewpoint 09 - Colonial Parkway
- Viewpoint 10 - Kingsmill Resort and Golf Club from Dock Area
- Viewpoint 11 - Kingsmill Resort and Golf Club from Overlook
- Viewpoint 12 - East End of Jamestown Island
- Viewpoint 14 - State Route 60 (Pocahontas Trail)
- Viewpoint 15 - Carter's Grove
- Sample 500kV structure diagram - preliminary engineering for thirteen towers proposed in the James River.
- This diagram illustrates one of the four towers located on each side of the two active shipping channels.
Skiffes Creek-Whealton 230kV route
Skiffes Creek Switching Station