Dominion Energy is planning to rebuild an existing high-voltage transmission line that extends approximately 34 miles from the Four Rivers Substation in Hanover County to the Fredericksburg Substation in the City of Fredericksburg.
Construction Informational Meeting - City of Fredericksburg
The Construction Informational Meeting was held on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 for the City of Fredericksburg. Construction for this portion of the project will begin January 2018.
- Help strengthen the electrical grid
- Comply with mandatory NERC reliability standards
- Replace aging infrastructure
- Improve overall reliability for the community
- No new right of way required
The existing transmission line in this corridor serves Hanover County, Caroline County, Spotsylvania County and the City of Fredericksburg. The line was originally built as 230kV, but has been operating at 115kV since 1990.
After carefully analyzing load forecasts, Dominion Energy has found that rebuilding the line to new 115kV reliability standards will continue to provide reliable electric service for customers far into the future.
The aging infrastructure must be rebuilt to ensure its continued safe and reliable operation. This project will replace the existing wood H-frame structures with new weathered steel H-frame structures and wires. All of the new structures will be built near the existing structures within the same corridor. No new right of way is necessary. The new structures will vary in height and the average for the entire line will be approximately 4½ feet taller than the existing structures. The increase in height is due to modern reliability standards and terrain.
Construction is currently in progress on the 9.5 mile line segment from Woodpecker DP to Slabtown DP with an expected completion date of February 2018.
- Spring 2016 - Phase I of construction began to rebuild line.
- October 2016 - Energized the Kings Dominion DP to North Doswell DP segment of the line rebuild.
- May 2017 - Pinewood Switching Station to St. Johns Substation was energized.
- August 2017 - St. Johns Substation to Woodpecker DP was energized.
- September 26, 2017 - Construction Information Meeting, James Monroe High School
- Construction is currently in progress.....