The proposed Brambleton-Mosby Project will replacing aging infrastructure of the line through Loudoun County (built in the mid-1960s). It will also support growth in local and regional demand for electricity.
- Aging infrastructure - The structures and equipment are reaching the end of their expected service life.
- Growth in local and regional demand - Dominion Energy's service territory continues to be one of the fastest growth areas in PJM and Loudoun County.
- Reduces the risk of a major failure of the high-voltage network
- Improves local and regional electric reliability
- Increases capacity of the lines through the corridor
- No new right-of-ways required
- For more information on construction activities on the western half of this same corridor, refer to the Loudoun-Pleasant View Project. This project was approved by the SCC in April 2014, and construction has begun at the northern end, near Pleasant View substation, and will proceed south toward the Loudoun Substation.
- Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC) has received approval to build a service center at the Brambleton Substation location on Evergreen Mills Road. For information related to this project, please contact Kent Cassell, NOVEC Manager, Procurement, Materials and Facilities: 703-392-1592 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
October 2016 - Line construction is complete and the line is energized. Work continues at the Brambleton Sub; rehab work is also underway.
The south terminal substation for the new line will be Mosby Substation (adjacent to Loudoun Substation on Lightridge Farm Road) and the north terminal substation will be the existing Brambleton Substation located just south of Evergreen Mill Road.
Rebuilding this line will replace structures at, or very near, the current locations with new structures, approximately 20 feet taller (subject to final engineering). The existing double-circuit 230kV towers on the eastern half of this corridor will be replaced with new structures to accommodate one 500kV line and one 230kV line.
View the Dominion Energy and NOVEC Joint Presentation - Meeting with Willowsford and Brambleton Residents (Dec. 8, 2015)
- Overview Map - includes land features and major highways
Photo simulations are provided by Truescape. Simulations of the proposed transmission structures are available below.
Photo simulations and diagrams provide representational views of proposed electric transmission facilities. These illustrations do not necessarily depict exact structure design or physical placement. All projects are subject to change and to final engineering.
Simulations along the transmission line corridor -- Each file includes three views: the existing view, the future (2015) view once the Loudoun-Pleasant View 500kV Rebuild Project is complete (new structures on the western side of the corridor), and the final configuration (2016-2017) once the proposed Brambleton-Mosby 500kV project is completed (new structures on the eastern side of the corridor)
- Viewpoint 05: Evergreen Mills Road
- Viewpoint 07: Intersection of Tall Cedars Parkway and Millstream Drive
- Viewpoint 08: Summerall Drive
- Viewpoint 09: Highway 620 (Braddock Road) between Kilkeen Way and Summerall Drive