Dominion Energy Virginia is committed to meeting our obligation to provide safe and reliable service to its customers. In order to comply with current safety and clearance standards, we are planning to replace an aging 230-kV (kilovolt) transmission line along a 2.6-mile stretch between its Belvoir and Gum Springs Substations in Fairfax
July 2018 - See updated restoration plan
Due to extensive rainfall in spring 2018, our efforts to restore the right of way corridor have been delayed.
- Dominion Energy's transmission line application to the Virginia State Corporation Commission (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8)
- VA SCC Hearing Examiner’s Report
- SCC issues Final Order to rebuild the Belvoir - Gum Springs line
The improved line project will:
- comply with mandatory reliability standards
- conform to current safety criteria
- take advantage of the existing corridor
- No new right of way required
This rebuild project will include replacing the existing structures and wires with new poles capable of enhancing reliability to area residents and businesses. The existing structures have been in place since the 1960s and have reached the end of their functional life.
Photo simulations and diagrams provide representational views of proposed electric transmission facilities. These illustrations do not necessarily depict exact structure design or physical placement. All projects are subject to change and to final engineering.
- November 2017
- Weekend work will take place December 2nd and 3rd, 2017. Nearby residents may notice periods of increased activity in the right of way.
- We ask that you remain clear of the construction area, so our team may work safely and efficiently.
- The schedule is subject to change based on weather.
- August 2017
- Construction access matting continues and is scheduled to be completed in early September 2017.
- Foundation work for the transmission structures will begin in early September 2017
- June 2017 Mailer - Pre-Construction Notification
- May 2017 Postcard - Survey Work
SCC Approval Process
The State Corporation Commission (SCC) is responsible for determining the need, route and environmental impact of transmission lines at 138 kV and above in Virginia.
The Company plans to file application with the SCC in December 2015. To learn more about this process, view our SCC process map.