Understanding Your Bill
To better understand the pieces and parts of your bill, view the sample bill below and the details for each numbered item below the image. The bill sample helps explain how you are billed for the electricity you use each month.
- Item 1: The Billing and Payment Summary section displays your account number, due date, current and previous amount due and payments since your last bill.
- item 2: The Total Amount Due displays the usage from the previous month plus any current balance or credit since your last bill.
- Item 3: The Previous Amount Due displays the total charges on your previous bill. The Payments as of [date] displays the payments received since your last bill.
- Item 4: Distribution Service is the cost for the use of local wires, transformers, substations, and other equipment used to deliver electricity to your home or business, including DSM Rider. Demand-side Management (DSM) is the cost associated with programs to assist customers in managing their electricity usage. This includes opportunities for conservation, energy efficiency, and load shifting and peak-shaving activities. DSM Rider C-1A (Peak Shaving), DSM Rider C-2A (Energy Efficiency) and Demand side-Management (DSM) Rider U- Strategic Underground Program.
- Item 5: The Meter and Usage section displays billable information for the current month and the Usage History section displays information for the previous 12 months.
- Item 6: The Measured Usage section displays the current and previous meter readings. The difference is the total Billable Usage.
- Item 7: The Explanation of Bill Detail section displays an explanation of Dominion Energy Virginia charges. Definitions of some of the terms are on the back of the bill.
- Item 8: The Balance Forward section (if applicable) displays the difference between the Previous Balance and the Payment Received and is added to your Total Current Charges.
- Item 9: The Schedule displays the rate schedule used to calculate your bill. You can find more information on rate schedules by typing in "rates" in the keyword search on this page.
- Item 10: Electric Supply Service is the cost associated with the generation and transmission of electricity, including fuel and Rider S, Rider R, Rider B, Rider W, Rider BW , Rider GV and Rider US-2 charges. Generation is the cost for the production of electricity from Dominion’s power plants. Rider S - Virginia City Hybrid Energy Center, Rider R - Bear Garden Generating Station, Rider B - Biomass Conversions and Rider W - Warren County Power Station, Rider BW - Brunswick County Power Station, GV – Greensville County Power Station charges and Rider US-2 – 2016 Solar Projects. Transmission is the cost of moving electricity from Dominion Energy’s power plants to the substations. This includes Rider T1 charges. Fuel (Rider A) is the cost for fuel used to produce electricity, including fuel shipment.
- Item 11: The Sales and Use Surcharge displays the recovery of sales tax on certain Dominion Energy Virginia purchases and leases. The recovery of this cost is based on your electricity consumption.
- Item 12: The Total Current Charges displays your current electric charges plus applicable taxes. The Total Account Balance displays the Balance Forward plus the Total Current Charges.
- Item 13: The Important Customer Information section displays messages to help keep you informed.
Bill Calculator Worksheet
If you're on our basic Schedule 1 rate for residential customers, you can use this worksheet to see how your bill is calculated. Grab your most recent bill to get started.
Bill Calculator Worksheet (MS Excel .xls format)
Helpful Tip: This worksheet is also handy if you're moving and want to estimate your final bill -- or if a roommate is moving out and you want to estimate how much their portion will be.